Video content is taking the web by storm, and for very good reason. In a digital age where the ‘next best thing’ is constantly around the corner, we look at why you should harness video on your website.
Video has become the go-to marketing asset most recently due to the fact that, as a consumer, it’s very easy to digest. Engaging video content has the power to capture our attention much more effectively than reams of written content.
By 2019, global consumer Internet video traffic will account for 80 percent of all consumer Internet traffic – Cisco.
How Video Content Can Boost Your Brand
What better way to showcase your product or service than letting potential customers experience it first hand? Whether it’s a product demo, instructional video or review, they all have an impact on users. When done correctly, video content helps build trust, which means potential customers are more likely to convert.
With popular video sharing platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo, video content has a greater chance at becoming viral than your bog standard HTML copy. With that being said, this isn’t a guarantee and it’s much harder than you think. Who knew Pen Pineapple Apple Pen would actually become ‘a thing’. But it did, why? We have no idea.
SEO Benefits of Video Content
• It’s a quality content signal that search engines can’t get enough of. Ensure you use video markup so that your videos show up within Google Videos – the largest search property on the web.
• Grab users attention by posting videos on your social media channels. Increasing social media engagement with video content is a way to strengthen social signals to your site, which is good for SEO.
Dollar Shave Club
When talking about video content, there’s always one popular example that comes to mind – Dollar Shave Club. The company’s promotional video rapidly became a viral hit. They successfully used the power of comedy to showcase their product and services – all for less than $5000.
This video racked up almost 5 million views in the first 90 days, but how we hear you ask!
The Power of Video
We’ve already established that video is a pretty powerful medium, particularly one that allows you to establish an emotional connection with your audience. HubSpot have done the leg work on a number of fascinating stats regarding video content:
• Including video on a landing page can increase conversion by 80%
• YouTube reports mobile video consumption rises 100% every year
• After watching a video, 64% of users are more likely to buy a product online
• 92% of mobile video consumers share videos with others
• 36% of online consumers trust video ads
Dollar Shave Club captivates the audience via an impressive and relatable narrative. They take the frustrating, inconvenience of continually buying expensive razors with shave technology you don’t need and combine it with funny quips and a simple value proposition.
Due to the comedic nature of the video, users are almost blind to the fact that it’s actually an advert. Humour combined with strong storytelling is a recipe for engaging and shareable content.
Better yet, Dollar Shave Club manage to portray their product and message in as little as 1:33 seconds which is just enough to hold the users attention and convince them to share.
Disclaimer – make sure you know your audience before choosing to take the risk that Dollar Shave Club did, particularly when naming their video.